Europe continues to be heavily impacted by the Eurozone financial crisis. Economic instability translates directly to the advertising market, which sees a -2.7% decrease in budgets during the first half of 2012. The decline in advertising spending is in large part due to embattled markets of Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain.
- The Western European demand of Magazine Paper has decreased by almost 10% compared to the same quarter last year.
- Demand decline less severe in MF Magazine.
- Magazine advertising spending decreases faster than any other media.
- Total deliveries of MF Magazine up 1% due to increased exports.
- The Western European Newsprint demand has decreased by 11% so far this year.
- The deliveries from Western Europe have not decrease as much thanks to increasing exports to mainly North America and Asia.
- The advertising spending continues to decline in Newsprint.
- There is no change in the Western European Book Paper demand compared to last year. Even though there is an increase in the e-book demand, especially in the UK.
- The Western European deliveries have increased due to greater exports.
Telephone Directory Paper
- The Western European demand of Telephone Directory Paper continues to fall.
- Digital solutions are replacing printed Telephone Directories.
Sources: Euro Graph, Nielsen Global AdView Pulse and Holmen Paper