Holmen endeavours to ensure it has as good a picture as possible of the origin of its wood. We lay down the following requirements in wood purchasing.
Holmen only buys wood from Natura 2000 sites if the seller can present a valid felling application and necessary permits.
Holmen does not purchase wood that:
- Comes from woodland key habitats in Sweden according to the Swedish Forest Agency definition and methodology.
- Comes from forests that are protected for nature conservation reasons.
- Comes from ancient forests, that is to say layered natural forests of differing age with ample presence of old, large trees and ample dead wood in various stages of decomposition.
- Is felled illegally.
- Is sourced from genetically modified trees.
- Comes from areas in which traditional customs and civil rights are actively impeded.
- Comes from High Conservation Value Forests.
- Comes from natural forests that have been converted to plantations or other land use.